Sunday, January 22, 2012

Actor's Blog Watch for the week of Jan. 16, 2012

There was a lot of good content from the Blogosphere this past week.  Combine that with a busy schedule and you can see why it has taken longer than usual to bring it all too you. But, with problems we get creative. This will be one of two Blog Watch posts for the past week. In this post we have some great advice for actors / by actors, and talk about one thing that is wrong with arts education.


The Butts In The Seats blog talks about one of the problems with arts education in America with the post Teachers Dont Know From Creative.
It occurs to me that part of the fight to restore arts education to schools needs to include advocating for a learning environment that encourages creativity. Arts people may hold certain assumptions about that arts in education involves cultivating creative expression, but it might not necessarily be so. Everyone probably has a story about a teacher who nearly killed their interest in an artistic discipline.


Dominique Toney from Unscripted. A Blog for Actors lets us know that sometimes seeds we have planted take a long time to show the fruits of our labor.
I guess I don't realize that things take time. I'm one of those people that answers their emails and text message IMMEDIATELY. I received two calls today from seeds I had planted - one from last week and one from almost TWO YEARS AGO. 

Mercedes Rose also from Unscripted knows that sometimes we need to be reminded that attitude changes everything.
Meredith has been acting professionally now for about 15 years. She used to say "I am not that good an actress." She would say this even as booking a regional commercial or a feature film. Along with: "I have kids." and "I never studied acting." This attitude was just a cop-out. A way of making sure her head (and heart) were never fully in the game.

And finally from Unscripted , Cassidy Gard tells us to "Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Already Taken."
I'm not going to lie. I was genuinely curious as to why I didn't look right for what they wanted. I debated whether I should have worn a dress, straightened my hair, worn heels not boots, and so on. However, all of these changes would have morphed me into a different version of myself that wasn't genuine. I would have been trying to be something that doesn't come natural to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More