Saturday, April 21, 2012

Do You Suffer From PGDS

Brittany Baratz over at Unscripted: A Blog for Actors tells us what it feels like when a fabulous acting job ends and you don't have anything lined up afterwards.

PGDS - Post-Gig Depression Syndrome

I suffer from what I call PGDS, or Post-Gig Depression Syndrome. You know the drill; you've been working with a wonderful cast for several months, enjoying eight shows a week, and the comfort of feeling validated by your work. You're a working actor, hell yeah! Until the show ends and suddenly you are thrown into the pool of the unemployed.

I have been lucky enough to be working with the same show for roughly six months. After our national tour ended, we had a six week hiatus, and then re-grouped and traveled abroad to Bahrain for the Spring of Culture Festival. It was an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Coming home from doing something so unique and cool was an adjustment.

The only way to combat PGDS is to fight back. After allowing myself a short mourning period for the end of my awesome gig, I've been spending time with people who love me and believe in my talent.

The best way to battle the I'm-never-gonna-gig-again-blues is to put yourself out there and just book it!

And if you suffer from PGDS like I do, give yourself some credit. It's okay to eat your ice cream and sleep in for a few days. Give yourself the permission to recharge your battery. Then you'll be ready to jump right back in the game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More